Thursday, November 09, 2006

Last night's Joanna Newsom show was incredible. I'll be writing a longer review and posting what few pictures I got later (not only was Joanna blocked by her harp from where I was standing, but my camera ran out of batteries half-way through), but for now a few highlights: after coming out alone and playing a couple of Milk-Eyed Mender favorites, she informed us that her band would be coming out to play her new album in its entirety- from start to finish. Since her album isn't out until next week and I didn't want to download it early, that means I got a preview of a complete album performed LIVE. How fantastic is that? Ys is five songs long, and they proved to be all over the place and really amazing- when I get it next Tuesday, I'm really going to have to sit down and pay attention to everything that's going on in each song, as well as listen to the lyrics and learn more about the stories she's telling (Joanna's lyrics rivals the Decemberists in sheer imagination and bizarreness). Most notable was the third track, which left the band hanging while Joanna played it solo. The song was absolutely gorgeous and heartbreaking, and Joanna's harp-playing and expressive facial expressions were mesmerizing- she had this pained look on her face that really made you feel the longing she was singing about. As the last note faded, I swear the entire audience had been holding their breath and let out one big collective sigh. I think a girl behind me burst into tears.

I can't say enough great things about Joanna. I think she's one of the most interesting, talented and unique musicians on the scene. Judging by last night's audience response, I'm not the only one who thinks that either.

No comments: