Sunday, February 19, 2006

Stars w/ the Elected


Stars
Originally uploaded by Nicolemc99.
My time away from the show scene definitely showed last Friday, after having to go back home for the tickets I forgot and leaving my earplugs at home. But this was definitely a great show to kick start the new year. Sadly, after attempting to take a picture of the Elected early on, the Metro Nazi bouncers told me that picture taking was not allowed that night by the request of "the talent." Ok, seriously? So I was able to get a few pictures discreetly from the back, but not as many as I would have liked.

The Elected is the side project of Rilo Kiley guitarist Blake Sennett, the smallest man in indie rock. He definitely tried to make up for his small stature with a killer moustache and a big, big voice. Their music is country-tinged pop, and was a nice warm-up for Stars.

I've been a Stars fan for a couple of years now, but this was my first time seeing them live, and they did not disappoint. Singers Torquil Campbell (who looked just like Richard Linklater) and Amy Millan were adorable and charismatic, and with the help of the Metro light system and great sound, they put on a really good show. The band was energized and excited to play, and it really made a difference to the audience. They ran through virtually all of their best material from their last two albums, Heart and Set Yourself on Fire, wrapping things up with their first "hit" of sorts (and my favorite song), "Elevator Love Letter." Pure pop bliss.

No comments: