Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I got an email from Matt Rucins, the Schubas' promoter, today imploring everyone on the email list to see Black Mountain tonight:

To Music Fans:

I very rarely, if ever, write an e-mail specifically touting one show. I apologize if this is intrusive, but I must encourage people to come see the Vancouver based super rock group Black Mountain TONIGHT at Schubas. Black Mountain has managed to make one of my favorite albums of the year, which gets heavy play on Schubas' juke box, and they also played the best show I have seen at Schubas this year back in April. All of this occurred long before pop super group Coldplay personally asked Black Mountain to kick off their North American tour. The band impressed and, likely, confused many Coldplay fans for a month straight, all the while garnering critical praise, which is much deserved. If my word doesn't sell you, then maybe the indie rock holy book that is Pitchfork will:http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/b/black-mountain/black-mountain.shtml

How often does that happen? It almost makes me want to go to the show. Almost.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you didn't go. I saw them opening for Coldplay and I thought they were SUPER bad!

Anonymous said...

I got the same email, and if I wasn't having such a busy week, I might have went. However, I can't think of ever hearing their music, so I don't even know what they're like.

Nicole said...

Ha, were they really that bad? That's so funny! That's like how pitchfork's review was super good and tinymixtapes gave them a 1.5/5. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Anonymous said...

Oh, they were really that bad...cringe-worthy!

BradyDale said...

Yeah, all this is fine, but the real news from this Schuba's place is that four days from now they are going to show the FINAL troubled hubble show.

Final show! WTF???

They just released a new album.

But it's true, it's true, true believers. I went to check the TH website today to see when they might at least return to Philly,
and,
well,
they won't be. here's what the 9/22 entry on their news page says:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Final Show @ Schuba's

for reasons, both physical and personal, the band has decided to make next thursday, september 29th at Schuba's the final Troubled Hubble show. it's been an amazing journey for all of us over the last six years, and we're so thankful to all of our friends and family for supporting us along the way, not to mention all the amazing friends and fans we've met all over the country. you have no idea how much we'll miss seeing you!

as for the show, happily it's all ages, so anybody willing and able can attend. if you want to be sure to make the show (especially if you're traveling), we suggest you buy tickets ahead of time here.

it's going to be a great show, and we're excited for the opportunity to end a career that we're so proud of on a high note. with any luck, we'll see you there.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<