Wednesday, August 10, 2005

So I'm sitting at my computer listening to a CD of Eartha Kitt's greatest hits that Tori burned me for my birthday (inspired by a Canadian public radio station we listened to randomly during a road trip to Vancouver). I'm completely unfamiliar with her work, but suddenly a very familiar song comes up- "Lilac Wine," which is a Jeff Buckley cover on Grace- I've always known it was a cover, but never knew who it was a cover of exactly. I'm assuming Eartha is covering it too, which leads me to wonder, who originally sang it?

Further investigation (have you heard of this wikipedia thing? It's great!): It was written by a British songstress named "Elkie Brooks," and has since been sang by a ton of people, most notably Nina Simone (who 's version actually nspired the Jeff Buckley cover). I looked it some of the different versions on ITunes, where you can also find the Album Leaf Remix of Nina Simone's version. Seriously.

No comments: