Friday, August 05, 2005

A great list featured on insound.com's blog from Charles Bissell, main member of the Wrens:

Five things that really did go through my head onstage at last week's Intonation Festival (although ultimately, we really did have a great time):

1. Crap, the bass is broken for two songs now and we sound weird and dated like we're WAY too 'rock' and yet still shrill and tiny. But we played so well just last night. I can't believe folks are clapping. Could that be sarcastic applause? Is there such a thing? What am I gonna do? I wish I was out there watching this ship go down rather clutching the mast like some sad jackass. And I smell like old shoes.

2. At 21, I watched Live Aid from a bar in South Jersey, soundchecking w/ a band I was in. Ten years later I was becoming desperate to 'make it,' whatever 'it' was, and already feeling kinda old. Now I'm 41 and here we're actually playing this amazing festival and...I don't know. Life is funny.

3. I would dig up and re-kill several dead uncles for a decent guitar sound. Please, satan, help me.

4. Pay attention. This probably won't happen often. Or, um, ever again.

5. I can't believe a couple hours ago I watched our friends in the Hold Steady fill their onstage 'water' bottles with whiskey or something and it's already hotter than Syria out here. For they are men. And we are but middle-aged boys. One Pom, please.

No comments: