Saturday, February 12, 2005

Last night's Low show was good, even though I was exhausted from the radio show and Low's music is not exactly a pick me up. Tim Rutilli, singer of Califone, was a last minute replacement as an opener, and it was interesting to see him go through Califone material alone. I just love his voice though, and it reminded me how weirdly cool that band is. Pedro the Lion was OK, they again skimped on Control, which is their only album that I really like, and none of the new songs really do much for me. Low's set surprised me- I wasn't sure how well their sloooooooooow music would go over in a venue as big as the Metro. Their new stuff is more "rockin," however, and the new stuff came off pretty well and kept me from passing out in between the slower (but still better) stuff off of albums like Things We Lost in the Fire. Mimi's voice is just amazing, I think it sounded better live than on the albums even; whoever was doing the sound for the show did an excellent job, because her and Alan's voices were absolutely crystal clear. I think my favorite moment was "Laser Beam," which is basically just Mimi's voice and a few plucks of the guitar; all 1000+ people in the venue were just completely silent, which wasn't the case during some of the other songs. It reminded me of the "Silencio" scene in Mullholland Drive, which is one of my favorite movie scenes ever.

I'll have a full review up here and on tinymixtapes in the next couple days. Next week: Les Georges Leningrad at the Open End Gallery (Spazzy Canadian art-punk- can't wait!) and possibly I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness at the Empty Bottle, which I haven't been to in almost two months (but will soon be at almost every weekend).

No comments: