Saturday, February 05, 2005

Earlimart show last night was good. They played "The Movies" and a half-assed cover of the Beatles "In My Life," and the singer's voice is oh-so-lovely (as is the singer, although he was sweating profusely). Also, I didn't notice until 3/4 of the way through the show that they had a second drummer in the corner, for reasons I did not understand. The crowd was extremely bizarre, meanwhile. In addition to the usual hipster/indie types, there was a strange contingency of tight-jeaned pointy-boot girls and the men who love them, who apparently missed the turn-off to the gold coast club scene. Quite possibly the most annoying girl on the face of the planet (or at least the most annoying girl of the moment) stood in front of me the whole time, some sort of tall skinny blond sorority type draping herself all over her ugly boyfriend with a soul patch, who was there with four of his friends in matching sweaters (different colors though). Then there was who I will call "Orange-shirted dancing man" in front of me who kept pumping his fists and headbanging- does "In My Life" inspire this reaction in normal people? When he got a beer I thought it might mean he'd have to restrain himself, but that just lead to a slower, more controlled form of the headbang/fist pump. Did someone put posters for this show up in Lincoln Park or something? When did these kinds of people start co-opting my music?

No comments: