Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My iPod died a few weeks ago (RIP). It started skipping songs, clicking and whirring inside the case, and finally sad-Macked on me. According to the Apple IT guy, there's nothing that can be done. In lieu of flowers, please make donations to The Perfect Face for Radio New iPod Fund.

Lesson learned- always pay the $60 a year to extend the warranty, because when it comes down to it, as cool and indispensable as iPod has become for me, it's sort of a crappy product. $300-$400, and it can't even make it two years? Probably because Apple keeps whipping out new versions to stay uber-trendy, without making sure they work that well. If anyone has any suggestions for how to revive my iPod (the ones Apple doesn't want you to know about!) before I get a new one in a few weeks, I'm all ears. So far I've been told to drop it on the floor (started working for about 5 minutes, then died again) and put it in the freezer (haven't tried that one yet). If nothing else works, at least I now get to upgrade from the 40 gig black and white screen to the 80 gig color w/ video and photo! And then spend another month uploading my music collection to the new iPod, because my computer's hard drive is too small for me to keep my entire music collection on it :( Oh well, at least it forces me to take a good look at my music collection and weed out the stuff I haven't listened to in years.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't help you on the iPod part, but I just bought an external drive for my PC for about $100. I can't remember the exact size, but my new external drive is about 3 times as large as my internal. It holds my music and that's it.

Brad K said...

why do people keep buying these things? Besides the common knowledge that they barely last more than a year and a half, they're also causing half the population to develop tinitus by age 30?!? Sweet! Sign me up for the 40 gig video version so I can ruin my eyesight as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Brad but actually more because of the fact that they are really built to last just over a year when they are out of warranty and you're out all this money. My ishuffle lasted about 13 months. Cinchel's ipod is on the fritz now too. They are overpriced pieces of crap but yet once we have that convenience of having so many choices to hear music anywhere, it's so hard to give it up. I hate ipod. I hate them for making me feel this way.

Nicole said...

Bill V: my dad suggested the external hard drive as well, and I think that's going to be the ticket.

Brad- I hear you, but I'm sorry, the ability to carry around my entire music collection in one tiny package, especially to work, my primary listening location, is too much for me to give up. Bringing cds to work sucks, and I never have the ones I want to listen to at the right time. I figure as long as I keep paying the apple care warranty extension each year (which I got an email offering but I stupidly never got around to buying), I can look at that as a yearly service fee while they keep replacing broken ones.

Also, the New York Times did a story saying that listening to the iPod at low, reasonable levels (which I do because it's nice and quiet at work) doesn't harm hearing. The same hearing loss doom stories were all over when the Sony Walkman came out all those years ago.

liz said...

Given the amount I use my ipod, I think it's worth spending the money on it. Plus, I'm waaaay more concerned for my hearing when I go to shows, as opposed to listening to my ipod.
Nicole - I feel for you! Mine died last year, but I totally got rid of some lame music, so that was good.