Sunday, October 22, 2006

Califone @ the Empty Bottle


Califone
Originally uploaded by Nicolemc99.
I caught Califone in their first Chicago show for quite some time last night at the Empty Bottle. They played an incredibly tight set featuring songs mostly from their latest (and amazing) album, Roots and Crowns, but threw in some classic favorites like "Michigan Girls" along the way. And I always get such a kick out of the weird toys Ben Massarella brings along to "play". Their set was so long that by 1:45, when they were really starting to jam out (to the delight of the wanna-be hippies next to me), I had to go home, satisfied that they had played everything I'd wanted to hear. Peter and the Wolf opened with an extremely bizarre set that started with one guy playing quirky love songs on acoustic guitar before a group of friends joined him on stage to do things like shake a skeleton, whack a plastic pumpkin or a water bottle with a drumstick, or actually play a real instrument. Meanwhile, Angela Desveaux's middle set sort of bored me to tears with her run-of-the-mill country-folk songs that I've heard done a million times before.

I also caught Viva Voce and Silversun Pickups at the EB the night before; I didn't take pictures, but fellow RFC writer Kirstiecat did, so I'll post my thoughts on that show this week on RFC along with her pics. But I did want to say two things quick about Viva Voce's lead singer/guitarist Anita Robinson (wife of drummer/guitarist/keyboardist Kevin Robinson): 1) She's an awesome guitar player, and 2) she's dead sexy.

1 comment:

Colin Reed said...

I just want to point out one detail you got wrong. I was whacking the water bottle with a fork, not a drum stick. :)