Monday, June 26, 2006

Intonation Photos


The Constantines
Originally uploaded by Nicolemc99.
Pictures from this past weekend's Intonation festival are up now on the photoblog, and thanks to the glory of the photo pass, are up close and personal! I'll be working with the RFC crew to put together some in-depth coverage of the festival and will link to it when it's up.

Some quick highlights:
-Robert Pollard, now totally gray-haired but still drinking his liquor straight from the bottle, throwing in my all-time favorite Guided by Voices song, “Game of Pricks.”
-The total rocking-ness of the Constantines, whose 30-minute allotment was far, far too short.
-The Streets totally ruled my world. Mike Skinner’s performance was so tight and his between-song (and in-song) banter so effortless, it almost seemed scripted. He even threw in a few verses of the Arctic Monkeys’ “I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor” and the Pussycat Dolls “Dontcha” into opener “Prangin’ Out.” Hilarity ensued.

Pleasant surprise of the festival: the Boredoms. A Japanese avant-garde band championed by the experimental kids over at tinymixtapes, I wasn’t sure I’d be into this band, but I was totally wrong. Featuring three drummers in a circle and a crazy long-haired keyboardist/vocalist, all clad in neon-colored t-shirts, the drumming was incredible and almost exhausting to watch, especially after the 30-minute marathon song that was the centerpiece of their hour-long set. I don’t know know if I could listen to their music on a daily basis, but it sure was a treat to watch.

More to come!

No comments: