Monday, May 02, 2005

Yesterday I went to see Palindromes, the newest movie from my favorite director, Todd Solondz. Though I usually love going to movies alone, this is one case where I really wish I'd gone with someone- specifically, someone who is also familar with his work- because it really warranted serious discussion afterwards. As I walked out of the theater, everyone who'd gone with a friend was talking about it. I tried following this couple for a block or two to listen in to their conversation, but it was mostly unsuccessful.

As usual, there's no reason to see this movie if you aren't a Todd Solondz fan, and especially a Welcome to the Dollhouse fan. Dollhouse is all over this movie, from Dawn's funeral at the beginning after she commits suicide to her brother Mark (who grew up to look even nerdier and more pathetic, if that's possible) giving a very loaded speech in the end about free will and change. As usual Solondz is tackling pretty intense subjects like rape, abortion, sex, disabilities, right-wing Christianity, and of course, pedophilia in ways that are shocking and, dare I say, make you laugh uncomfortably.

I'm still trying to decide what I think of the movie, and hopefully I'll eventually run into someone to talk about it with. But it was a reminder of why I love Todd Solondz, because his movies really require discussion and inspire extreme emotions- every review I've read of Palindromes (and of all of his movies, in fact) has been either a total lashing of the film or featured immense praise.

So if anyone wants to watch it and talk about it with me sometime, let me know!

Next movie on the agenda: Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room.

No comments: