Saturday, October 30, 2004

Saw one of the best lineups all year last night, Mouse on Mars, Ratatat and the Junior Boys. Wow, the only thing that would have made this show any better would have been if it was at the Empty Bottle; the Logan Square Auditorium is all ages and looks like the Great Hall in Memorial Union, so I felt old and like I was back in college. But regardless, I got right up front for the fabulousness that was this show.

Junior Boys: An electronic/keyboard/guitar twosome that I've fallen in love with this year. The lead singer has one of the most beautiful voices, and they played "Teach Me How to Fight," one of the best songs I've heard in a long time. The funny thing was, the singer looked nothing like I expected him to look with that voice. He was kind of short and chubby and very unassuming. I later told him how much I loved his voice and the band, and then left with the awkward "you rock" and the thumbs up. I never know how to initiate and then end conversations with musicians.

Ratatat: Again, two guys playing guitar/bass/electronics, with a fog machine, lights and a video montage all timed to the music, and it was awesome. They were really incredible on stage. The guitarist was absolutely amazing on his guitar, and "Seventeen Years" had the whole crowd going insane. I love it when people actually dance. Though the guy next to us dressed as a skeleton needed to tone it down a bit.

Mouse on Mars: I was actually least familiar with MOM, having only one album out of their like, 10. But they somehow still played my two favorite songs off that album, "Actionist Respoke" and "Doit" and they had everyone dancing like crazy. This was the last show of the 5-week tour, so I felt like we got a better show than anyone; the guitarist from Ratatat came and played with them for a bit, then during the encore the stage got flooded with people dancing, from the audience and the other bands, and it was just so much fun. Then everyone hugged afterwards. There was a lot of love going on last night.

That was definitely one of the best shows I've seen in awhile, and everyone seriously needs to go get that Junior Boys album because it is amazing. Ahhhhhhh.

No comments: