Friday, October 01, 2004

Alright, I've listened to the new Interpol twice today at work, not enough to make a definite opinion on the album, but I've got some early indications as to what I think of it.

The first two songs are awesome. When I first heard them, I thought they might have been able to pull off the proper sophomore album- changing your sound enough to evolve as a band, but not enough to alienate fans. Definitely a more upbeat, less dark Interpol. From then on though, it pretty much sounds like sort of, well, the same- none of the other songs have yet stuck out as anything special in my mind. They might, after a few more listens, again, it's too early to say. Of course, it's a good album, and if I'd never heard Turn on the Bright Lights before, I'd think it's a really good album. But they all seem to sort of have the same structure; there's no song that's super in-your-face like Obstacle #1 or slower and thoughtful like the New. Though I also know I shouldn't be comparing it to TOTBL, which of course, is virtually impossible. Anyhoo, I'll give it a few more spins before I decide for sure.

No comments: