Friday, July 18, 2008

Pitchfork Picks: Sunday

My interest in the Sunday lineup is more concentrated towards the second half of the day. (I will make sure NOT to be in the park for Times New Viking at 1, a band I cannot for the life of me understand, both literally and figuratively). I'll probably treat myself to sleeping in and enjoying a nice brunch before making sure I'm at Union Park in time for . . .

4pm- Les Savy Fav. It's another repeat band from Intonation by Pitchfork 2005, but chances to see Les Savy Fav are rare, so I'll take what I can get. Beyond singer Tim Harrington's legendary antics, their latest album, Let's Stay Friends, is fantastic, and I hope they play "Pots and Pans."

5pm- The Dodos. I've been very much enjoying this album as of late, and I've heard they put on a good live show.

6pm- M. Ward. If only Zooey Deschanel would make a guest appearance! (Though I'll be seeing She & Him in August at Park West, so no biggie).

7:30pm- Bon Iver. This'll be my first time visiting the balance stage. I'm hoping that the crowd that was there at 6 to see Ghostface and Raekwon will empty out (different fanbase, right?), giving me a good spot to see Bon Iver since they usually play sitting down. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the outdoors; while their sound usually lends itself to intimate spaces, it does have a bit of a nature-y vibe (recorded in a Wisconsin cabin, after all) that could translate.

8:25pm- Cut Copy. One of the acts I'm most excited for. !!! provides the dancing on Saturday, and Cut Copy provides the dancing on Sunday. It should be (mostly) dark by this point, which will help it feel more like a dance club and less like a parking lot.

9pm- Spoon. I'll miss the beginning of Spoon for Cut Copy, but that's ok as I've seen Spoon 5 times now, and only once or twice have they really impressed me live. Should be interesting to hear Ga Ga Ga . . . tracks, but Girls Can Tell and Kill the Moonlight will always be my go-to Spoon albums.

No comments: