Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Today my coworker burned me a copy of the new Bloc Party album. After one listen, I must say I'm very unimpressed. First of all, after the first song played, I had to double check that he burned me the right album; Kele's once vibrant vocals sounded pretty generic and dumbed down. The sound overall is much more typical brit-rock with absolutely no great dance tracks in the vein of "Banquet" and "Helicopter." Too bad.

Other albums I've been checking out lately:

The Besnard Lakes- Are the Dark Horse: Great fuzzy, distorted rock from Montreal.

Fujiya & Miyagi- Transparent Things: I've been playing a lot of tracks from this on my show lately and I really like it. Funky, groovy music that runs from loungy to downright danceable. And no, they're not actually Japanese.

Eluvium- Copia: A nice, classical-sounding instrumental rock record. "Prelude for Time Feelers" is my favorite song off the album.


Very excited to hear: The new !!! album, Myth Takes, which drops next week. As those of you who heard my show last night heard me say, it really seems like singer Nic Offer's vocals are finally catching up in quality to the rest of the music. The song I played last night even features a quality falsetto- he must have been taking lessons or something!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonesy's Jukebox Jury verdict was "pants" on the new Bloc Party single

Anonymous said...

everything eluvium has done is really great! and i have been digging that besnards lake album for a bit now too..cant wait for their show at schubas.