Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's been a long time since I've gone to a show to see a band I wasn't too familiar with- usually I'm bringing along friends to see bands I love but they don't know. Other than what I heard watching Little Miss Sunshine, I didn't know much about Devotchka other than the fact that RFC's Kirstiecat is obsessed with them (see her raving review of the show as well as pics here on RFC today), so it was on her recommendation that I went. I have to say it was a really great show that lived up to the promise, and I've already got How It Ends on order from Amazon. They've got a really unique sound (gypsy meets indie rock), a lot of personality and character, and play some really neat instruments (a massive tuba decorated in Christmas lights). Plus I'm always a sucker for the accordion. Nick Uruta's voice is incredible, powerful and aching, the kind that can give you chills, and he's definitely got a great stage presence. It's interesting, I don't feel like this band has been the subject of an excessive amount of buzz (other than the movie I guess), but the show was sold out and packed with serious fans who knew every word, not the slightly disinterested crowd who saw a big indie movie hit like it could have been. Good stuff.

No comments: