Sunday, November 09, 2003

Just got back from the Birdland, TV on the Radio, Aspera, I Am the World Trade Center show. I'll probably post a review tomorrow instead of studying for my two exams, but here's a super-brief rundown:
Birdland- Totally intense; one man on an electric organ and a woman with these deep, throaty vocals. I thought they were really cool. Ever see that part in Mulholland Drive where the woman is singing in the theater, but not really singing? That's sort of what the vocals sounded like.
TV on the Radio- Clearly drew the biggest crowd, due to the enormous amount of buzz that has been going on around their recent EP, Young Liars. Definitely lived up to that buzz, as they totally rocked the house (even though they were experiencing some frustrating sound problems), and I can't wait for their full-length album that comes out in March. Also, the first (mostly) black indie rock band I've ever seen, which was very interesting. Poser Julia made it a point of getting the singer to call one of her friends on her cell phone in yet another attempt to look cool by association with bands.
Aspera- Sort of boring, mild electronic-indie. I sat outside for most of it, so I don't have too much to say.
I Am the World Trade Center- Most people had left after TV on the Radio, but they missed out. IATWTC were awesome- one male and one female, purely electronic dance music while she sang and he backed up with some robot vocals. Totally danceable and fun, and they were really cute people.
Overall: really good stuff!

No comments: