Thursday, December 22, 2005

Good lord, Mogwai is playing at the Logan Square Auditorium on March 1. That is a very small venue for the LOUDEST BAND EVER TO GRACE THE STAGE. I came late to the Curiosa festival two summers ago to catch only their last song, and even in the Tweeter Center's huge outdoor amphitheatre, my ears were bleeding within seconds. I think their live show could be used as a torture device in the War Against Terrorism.

The show scene has been unbelievably dry for awhile now, though a few are starting to pop up on the horizon (horizon being February and March). Here's some I'll have my eye on:

Friday, February 17: Stars at the Metro
Sunday, February 26: Cat Power w/ the Memphis Blues Band at the Vic Theatre (word is she's getting less shy on stage!)
Friday, March 3: Matthew Dear as Audion at the Smart Bar (I have still to check out the Audion album, but I hear it's quality sexed-up techno-rock, so this could be a hotttt time)
Saturday, March 11: Stereolab at the Vic Theatre
Saturday, March 18: Akron/Family w/ Larsen at the Empty Bottle (very excited for this, I've heard their live show is amazing and if I hadn't gotten their album so late in the year, it probably would have made my top 25)
Friday, March 24: Scout Niblett at Schubas (she's FABULOUSLY weird live)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Mogwai down in Austin a few years ago. I believe they played right before Malkmus, and I was dying to check him out. The Mogwai show was ok, but I stood with my hands over my ears for the entire show (didn't have any earplugs) and I was not alone. I like loud music, but they are like being next to a rocket, certainly the loudest thing I've ever heard. Don't bother with a ticket, get a chair and hang out on the sidewalk, you'll hear it just fine!