Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I've gotten some new CDs lately. Here's what I think so far, although I've really only listened to each one casually once or so. Since most albums evolve for me well beyond first impressions (both good and bad), take it for what you will:

Broken Social Scene- Broken Social Scene: There are some really good songs, and some songs that I didn't really notice as the album played. The artwork is neat. The bonus EP seems a bit gratuitous. I'm a fan of off-key singing (also see: Prefuse 73- Now You're Leaving).

Franz Ferdinand- You Could Have It So Much Better: I actually downloaded this album because I knew I wouldn't buy it, but I was curious to hear it. From what I understood from reviews, it sounds much like the first album. I'd say that's correct. I'll have to listen more to see if the catchiness overrules the lack of originality.

Metric- Live It Out: More Broken Social Scene-related goodness. I'm liking it. There's one song on it where the beginning guitar riff sounds just like the Driftless Pony Club- very strange, because Metric sounds nothing like the Driftless Pony Club, and neither does the rest of the song- just that first 30 seconds. Very odd. I saw Metric live last year when I didn't know most of their music, and Emily Haines is unbelievably cute and entertaining, making it a good show to watch when you didn't know the songs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what dpc song/metric song?

Nicole said...

I'll check back on which Metric song it was- I can't remember the name. It doesn't sound like a specific DPC song so much as a song DPC would write, if that makes sense :)

If the new Long Winters album is as good as the LW song I'm listening to on WOXY at the moment ("Ultimatum"), then I'm definitely buying that one! I'll probably get the new Constantines, maybe MMJ, maybe Deerhoof . . .

Nicole said...

"Too Little Too Late"