Sunday, January 18, 2004

Last night fucking ROCKED. Here's a brief overview of the night, with full reviews to be posted to the review page tonight or tomorrow and eventually on TMT.

7 PM: The Wrens at Schubas. Man, these guys are old, and they like to make fun of how old they are. But they were still totally awesome, full of energy, and the song "Happy" was so unbelievably amazing I almost peed my pants.

10 PM: The Candyland Riots opening for the Unicorns at the Empty Bottle. I did not know the Candyland Riots, but I'm sure glad I do now because they were SO COOL. The singer is like 8 feet tall has the coolest voice and the bassist made the weirdest faces I've ever seen from a band, and their songs were totally quirky and fun. I LOVED them. I talked to the bassist afterwards about possibly having them come up to open for Single Frame, we'll see if that works out because Madison NEEDS to know these guys. They have a great band name too.

Then the Unicorns, who looked like they were about 15 years old and came out in PINK SUITS and I just about died of laughter. They were fantastic too- one of the lead singers was surely on crack and had so much hair in his eyes he could not possibly see the audience, and they did a killer cover of Kylie's "Can't Get You Out of My Head." Then a weird bum came on stage asking for change as the singer just kept saying, "uh, ok?", and Ben gave the singer some Canadian coins to give the bum in honor of the Unicorns' Candian heritage. They also had these really cute girly shirts for sale that were black and pink with clouds, and I asked if they even bothered making boy shirts and they said the boy shirts were exactly the same design and had actually sold out. So there are tons of indie boys running around wearing pink shirts that say "the Unicorns" on it. That's so wonderful to know. What a great night of music. And Liz has the drunken phone message to prove it.

No comments: