Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Back from an utterly exhausting day. My first day of teaching was SCARY, but not necessarily in a bad way. They just kept staring at me, a shocking development since I am their teacher, standingin the front of the room. The only reaction I think I got from them the entire time was when I flashed the radio show info up on the overhead, which elicited some comforting laughs. Meanwhile, the Radiohead and Flaming Lips fans get an A, the Outkast lover gets an A/B, the Something Corporate, Saves the Day and Lucky Boys Confusion fans get a B for at least liking music outside of the typical Business School realm, the Dave Matthews and fan (only 1!) and country girl get an F, and the 20 or so students who claimed "they don't have a favorite band" or "they like lots of different stuff" get an incomplete. Tomorrow I'm going to take pictures of them with my digital camera to learn their names, probably creeping them out in the process. Though one girl said when she was describing herself that she was glad that I "wasn't a freak" like some other teacher she had. Thanks, girl whose name and probably face I won't remember unless she sits in the same seat tomorrow.

Great news from the Union Music Committee: Single Frame is now a complete show with openers! Specifically, Life at Sea, a Chicago band featuring ex-members of Braid, and Up Up Down Down, a New Jersey band named after a Nintendo move of some sort that has played with Single Frame in the past. Looks to be a great show- again, mark your calendars, Feb. 28, as I will continually and obnoxiously remind everyone until then. Another Committee coup- the booking of the Unicorns for April 3 at Union South!!!!!!!!!!! I'm looking into Candyland Riots as repeat openers for them since they fit so well together on Saturday. So all you Madison folk who were totally jealous of me seeing them (ok, probably no one) will get the chance to see them in Madison rock you with their pink pants and crazy Canadian ways.

No comments: