Monday, May 15, 2006

The new Sunset Rubdown (Shut Up I Am Dreaming) and Streets (The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living) albums have finally arrived in my mailbox! So far, the new Sunset Rubdown is exactly as I expected it to be, which means it's pretty great. "The Men Are Called Horsemen There" is unreal, and I can't wait to see how it comes across live when I see them this Thursday with Frog Eyes at Schubas. Spencer Krug is an incredibly passionate and captivating performer, and I assume he'll also be making an appearance as part of Frog Eyes as well. The new Streets has it's highs and lows; a few of the songs are quite cheesy and/or sound too much like past Streets songs, but when it's good, it's great. See: "Prangin' Out," "When You Wasn't Famous."

Next purchases: Danielson's Ships and Beirut's Gulag Orkestrar. Both of which I swear I was planning on buying before the Pitchfork reviews came out. Really.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Amen to your Streets assessment; "When You Wasn't Famous" is excellent but other songs on the album ("War of the Sexes," "Hotel Expressionism") are possibly the worst Mike Skinner has ever made. I also like the title track and "Pranging Out" pretty well, but overall the record feels kind of sloppy and dashed-off. But then after "A Grand Don't Come for Free" it may just be that it's a "transitional" rekkid...

Anonymous said...

See ya there.