Friday, May 20, 2005

Last night's MIA/LCD Soundsystem show definitely fulfilled my dancing quota for the month- I don't think I've danced that hard since the Rapture show last year. No pictures of this show since I wanted to focus on the dancing, but let's just say it was pretty great. MIA kicked it off with Diplo as her DJ and a fellow woman MC in tow as they did semi-choreographed dance moves in front of a large video screen. Her set kicked off with video of Tony Blair looking on while President Bush appeared to say "MIA" over and over. She did an encore, which I found a bit tacky considering she was the opening act, but otherwise it was a good time. LCD, however, totally rocked my world. I don't know what my expectations of what their live show would be, but James Murphy always struck me as a very complacent-looking guy in pictures and interviews- not the case. He was boiling over with energy, screaming into his mic and rocking his tambourine for an hour straight, playing only the most dance-oriented of his songs- Beat Connection, Daft Punk, Tribulations, On Repeat . . . and just when I thought, "you know what we need right now? A good 10-minute 'Yeah' breakdown," he launched right in to just that. How I love gratuitous use of cowbell and tambourine.

After the show we headed down to Smart Bar for the Diplo afterparty, where he played quite a bit off of the Piracy Funds Terrorism mixtape, as well as some hits like "Bombs Over Baghdad" and even some sort of rap mash-up with Britney Spear's "Toxic," which you can imagine excited me to no end. Apparently the band Keane was hanging out at Smart Bar after their show with Brendan Benson. It's a pretty decent club considering you get to go in for free with your Metro wristband. My ability to dance like a crazy person wore off at about two and will probably not resurface again for some time- or at least until the next DFA-related event.

No comments: